Friday, December 16, 2022

 Random thoughts on my writing life: Three words I live by ...

Never. Give. Up. These three words, when looked at separately, are really not that compelling. But when put together, they become one of the most powerful phrases this writer needs to hear. They become the first part of a sentence that, when I add the word ‘writing’, conveys a thought that reminds me of why I wanted to write in the first place. How many times have you had a great idea for a short story or a book only to let the evil thoughts inside your head cause you to procrastinate or, worse yet, totally give up on breathing life into that great idea? It’s happened to me many times. I have a huge file on my computer stuffed with unfinished great ideas. Ideas that I gave up on for one reason or another.

Recently, I took some time to visit that file just to see what was in there. It had been accumulating for so long I’d forgotten much of what was inside. As I read through the partially written stories and the pages that had just a germ of an idea typed on them, it reawakened me to the possibilities of what I truly had. Some thoughts squirreled away in this file weren’t half bad. Others needed some work before they would reach that status. All were ideas that, at one time, I believed could blossom into amazing works of art. So why didn’t they? The simple answer is that I gave up on them. When attempting to form those ideas into actual stories that someone or even I would want to read became hard, I let those aforementioned evil thoughts stop me from trying. The minute it became frustrating, I would put it away for another day. A day that never seemed to come. I allowed everything and anything to delay getting back to writing. Not because I didn't enjoy it. I did. I still do. Writing is one of the most cathartic things I do in my life. When I am writing and it’s going well, it cleanses my soul. But writing isn’t an easy process. If someone tells you it is, they’re lying to you. It takes careful thought to string the right words together to form a good story. And that takes time.

I hear other writers talk about all the stories trapped inside their heads that they have to get out through their writing. They say they have a strong need deep inside to write no matter what.  Honestly, that’s never been me. I came to this writing thing late in life. When I was younger, I thought I was going to be the next great cartoonist to hit the Sunday comic pages. The first time the thought of becoming a writer even crossed my mind, I was almost 40 years old. I didn’t really act on it until I was 58. But once I started, I have not been able to stop. That doesn’t mean that there haven't been times when I was ready to pack it all in and leave writing behind. But even though for me, the process of writing can be exasperating and sometimes aggravating, I enjoy the challenge. I’m also a slow writer. It seems to take me forever to get the words the way I want them on the page. And after everything is finally just the way I want it and I’ve put it out there for all the world to see, it can be extremely disappointing when it feels like the world doesn’t want to see my masterpiece. 

The last couple of months have been eye opening for me regarding my writing habits and my frustration level because of said habits. I’ve had a lot of things that legitimately got in my way over the last few years--medical issues, family issues--but that has all passed, and those things are no longer obstacles. And now that I’m semi-retired and have more time, I’ve tried to ensure that I have specific time carved out for writing. But I came to be a writer by choice. It was never a calling for me, so if I let it, that disappointment and frustration that occasionally hits all of us, would be an easy-peasy reason for me to quit. But I’ve realized that I don’t want to quit. That, dare I say it, can’t quit. Who knows? Maybe I just think that writing was a choice I made and perhaps it’s been my calling all along and it took me 63 years to recognize that fact.

I now have a sticky note taped to my computer that says Never give up! as a reminder for whenever I feel discouraged or frustrated. That little note can help keep me on track. Simple words. Strong words. Helpful words.  

I’m currently knee-deep in crafting my fourth Razzman Mystery Crime Files series book. It’s titled, Best Served Cold: A Tony Razzolito PI Story and is slated to be published in the first quarter of 2023. I have pretty much completed Top of the Third: A Trio of Tony Razzolito Short Stories but have it on the back burner to marinate for a while longer. I’ve also started writing a book for the Magnolia Bluff Crime Chronicles series. That book is to be released in September 2023. More on that later next year. I've also started to rework and combine a few of those filed away “great ideas” into a project as yet to be determined. I’m glad I didn’t just delete that file full of abandoned thoughts, unfinished stories, and ideas. I love being a writer. It feels good to not give up. 

____________________________________________

As always, thoughts and comments are welcome😎

You can find my books by clicking here: JoeCongelAuthor 


Until next time...  

No comments:

Post a Comment