Friday, October 27, 2023

Book Writing: AI vs. Human - My Thoughts

It seems like everywhere I turn lately, AI is being pushed at me. Maybe I'm old fashioned when it comes to Artificial Intelligence as a way of life, but I prefer to do the work myself. Now don't misunderstand, I believe that AI can be a good thing in small doses and may even be helpful for certain things. But as a writer I have a hard time accepting the idea that a book written using AI will somehow be a better story than one written by a human. As a member of the human species, I can add emotion to my writing that, in my opinion, cannot be equaled by artificial means regardless of the "intelligence" behind it.

AI simply cannot match the blood, sweat, and tears a real person pours into the written words that will give birth to the masterpiece they've dreamed of creating. The idea of working hard to improve over time with each new story is a feeling that is lost if the book was produced by typing in a few key words and asking a machine to compose the manuscript. I get that the "author" may go in and edit, add and/or subtract to try and make it their own work, but it doesn't change the fact that they didn't take the time to actually write the story themselves. And if that's the case, should the author really claim the finished product was written by them? 

I know there are authors who have used AI to help create covers for their books. To each his own, but again, I feel that the give and take between a cover artist and the writer will always produce a product that will better express the vision the author is looking for. Not to mention keeping the cover artist employed to do what they are trained to do--produce quality artwork that gives the reader a glimpse at what's in store for them on the pages between the front and back covers.

I understand that using AI to write a novel isn't technically plagiarism. And I get that the content is being written from scratch and not from stealing someone else's ideas, but for me, it just feels like a shortcut that I'm not willing to take. I want to feel good about the content I produce. Even if it doesn't turn out great, I can claim it as all mine, produced from my thoughts, emotions, and creativity with me connecting all the dots to form the story.

I am not asking anyone to agree with my thoughts on this. I know that some might even pushback hard on this subject... and that's okay. Just as it's okay for me to express my thoughts and my opinion on AI as used for writing, I respect anyone who disagrees with me. What's right for some doesn't mean it's right for all and we're all entitled to our opinions on this subject. The idea that we can think and use our minds to form an opinion is what makes us human. It's also what makes us different from the machines.

______________________________________________

As always, I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog. And of course, your thoughts and comments are always welcome. ðŸ˜Š








Meanwhile, you can find my books here: The Razzman Mystery Crime Files

Until next time...😎

3 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly with everything that you say here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you say here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Brenda. I appreciate you reading and your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete